11/22/2013

Remembering & Being Ever So Thankful :-)

It was 50 years this week that John F. Kennedy fell to an assassin's bullet.      I always wonder what the World would have been like if he had lived.        I saw this on a recent posting on Daily KOS about the speech he did not live to give in Dallas about how truly things have not changed:

Official photo of President John F. Kennedy.
This is very true:
But today other voices are heard in the land – voices preaching doctrines wholly unrelated to reality . . . At a time when the national debt is steadily being reduced in terms of its burden on our economy, they see that debt as the single greatest threat to our security. At a time when we are steadily reducing the number of Federal employees serving every thousand citizens, they fear those supposed hordes of civil servants far more than the actual hordes of opposing armies.
We cannot expect that everyone, to use the phrase of a decade ago, will "talk sense to the American people." But we can hope that fewer people will listen to nonsense. And the notion that this Nation is headed for defeat through deficit, or that strength is but a matter of slogans, is nothing but just plain nonsense.
It's truly depressing how little changes.

As I saw this earlier about all those Americans who fell to an assassin's bullet, I could not help but wonder about the cruelty that continues to somehow haunt us ever more:

Has anybody here seen my old friend Abraham?
Can you tell me where he’s gone?
He freed a lot of people,
But it seems the good they die young.
You know, I just looked around and he’s gone.
Anybody here seen my old friend John?
Can you tell me where he’s gone?
He freed a lot of people,
But it seems the good they die young.
I just looked around and he’s gone.
Anybody here seen my old friend Martin?
Can you tell me where he’s gone?
He freed a lot of people,
But it seems the good they die young.
I just looked ’round and he’s gone.
Didn’t you love the things that they stood for?
Didn’t they try to find some good for you and me?
And we’ll be free
Some day soon, and it’s a-gonna be one day …
Anybody here seen my old friend Bobby?
Can you tell me where he’s gone?
I thought I saw him walkin’ up over the hill,
With Abraham, Martin and John.
~ Dick Hollar


President Lincoln was also remembered and this retrospective by President Obama was so moving to read:
President Obama's Handwritten Tribute to the Gettysburg Address
But, the need to be hopeful and embrace a sense of love and compassion is ever so crucial during Thanksgiving Week.    I see a sense of love and compassion all around as I will be witness to the community coming together as it hands out 170 Turkey dinners this week to families in need and other events throughout thanksgiving week.      We must never lose that sense of  hope and optimism.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!!!

Source: http://karenfosterdesign.com/happy-thanksgiving-collage.htmlhttp://tinyurl.com/l965jkk, retrieved 11/22/2013 

No comments: