As President Obama spoke, the office of the House Speaker released the following in rebutttal to the President's remarks:
--it was also of note that some of the more conservative elements within the Republican Party attacked the Governor of South Carolina as outlined below:
- Breitbart headlined its story: “Republican Party Uses State Of The Union Response To Attack Trump.”
- “Trump should deport Nikki Haley,” Ann Coulter wrote in one ofsix-anti Haley tweets.
- Radio host Laura Ingraham chimed in: “The country is lit up w/ a populist fever & the GOP responds by digging in, criticizing the GOP candidates dominating polls?! NOT SMART.”
- Former Ted Cruz aide Amanda Carpenter wrote: “Haley’s speech would’ve been good except for the GOP self-loathing.”
The "establishment" within the GOP was different:
- Charles Krauthammer, on a Fox News panel, called it the best State of the Union response he can ever recall hearing.
- The Washington Examiner’s David Drucker said Haley’s response “will likely elevate her to the top of the list of potential vice presidential contenders.”
- National Review editor Rich Lowry said it’s “always a tough assignment”: “Haley was a little shaky at beginning, but moving treatment of Charleston shooting and nice riff on GOP agenda.