11/06/2012

Witness to Democracy: Brief Thoughts

Team,

I am excited about America  this morning as we are choosing our President tonight..

I have had hardly any sleep as I gear up to hit the road  in a few hours to serve as an Elections Officer for my Local County.    I reflected upon some of the excitement with some of  my online students earlier.    MSNBC's "morning Joe" is playing in the background and the pundits are again at it to think about and decide     I saw President Obama  last night during his last campaign stop of what has been a remarkable 15-year rise to the highest office in the land.     Whatever happens by midnight Eastern in the United States, one thing will continue to be clear:  In America, there is still that sense that anything is possible...and that if  the Son of a Single Mother with a different last name is able to make it if he tries...that anything is possible.    I remembered, as I listened to his last speech in Iowa last night, when I first noticed him in 2004 when I was in Chicago as he was running for the US Senate.    How time flies....


I reflected upon this as I shared these "thoughts" also earlier...the possiblities are limitless..and we must always aim to climb the highest mountain, overcome our fears and remember that nothing is impossible:
 


It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves.
- Edmund Hillary

There is no easy walk to freedom anywhere,
and many of us will have to pass
through the valley of the shadow of death
again and again before we reach
the mountaintop of our desires.
- Nelson Mandela

I just want to do God's will.
And he's allowed me to go to the mountain.
And I've looked over, and I've seen the promised land!
I may not get there with you,
but I want you to know tonight that
we as a people will get to the promised land.
- Martin Luther King, Jr.

It isn't the mountain ahead that wears you out;
it's the grain of sand in your shoe.
- Robert W. Service

No comments: