5/15/2007

Another Hectic Week....

The Palestinians are at each others' throat, again. I don't understand why they can't figure out a way to unite and take their community on to the next level. There is no law in Gaza. What was agreed to in Saudi Arabia seems to be in shatters. I don't know if there is ever a solution.

Coming back to Washington, The World Bank is in crisis. The White House does not care about what the world thinks. The President of the World Bank, Paul Wolfowitz, is under an ethics cloud. The whole world seems to speak with one voice. If I were in Mr. Wolfowitz's place, I would have completely recused myself and not even gotten involved. Do not ever mix your personal and professional life. For someone who has been in public service as long as he says, it seems to me that he should have thought things through. He has to pay a price.

Back in Europe, Nicholas Sarkozy is scheduled to be inaugurated tomorrow. The inauguration ceremony will be broadcast live on http://www.france24.com. There was a great feature on him in today's Financial Times (http://www.ft.com). He is an example of what can be done when you're determined. He reminds me of Bill Clinton. I wish him well as he assumes his office.

No comments: